Saturday, September 15, 2012

The Publican and Pharisee...According to Walt Disney

I remember while driving home from Montana some friends and I watched Walt Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame (no, football fans, I'm not talking about the Fightn Irish) on a laptop. The whole time I kept thinking, "This is a Disney movie?" We spent the rest of the trip duiscussing the implications of film. Granted, it's hardly a perfectly theologically spot-on production, but there were some very interesting themes. For starters,in the end Notre Dame - which throughout the film symbolized the presence of God - sided with the humble and not the proud, hypocritical elite.

While niether song portrays this perfectly, I found striking contrast the prayer of the outcast...



...and the prayer of the legalist...


No comments:

Post a Comment